GoldenDict - online and offline Tibetan dictionaries combined
GoldenDict is available for Windows, Mac OS-X and Linux. It integrates various dictionary formats, including the StarDict format with online access to dictionaries based on mediawiki.
- 1 Installation
- 1.1 History
- 1.2 Android 6.0
- 1.3 Installation of local dictionary data
- 1.4 Installation of online Tibetan dictionary access
- 1.5 A list of Wikipedia (Mediawiki) sites that can be added to GoldenDict:
- 1.6 GoldenDict wiki (Help)
- 1.7 Resolving problems
- 1.8 Additional sources and Sanskrit
- 1.9 External links
- 1.10 Internal links
Installation of GoldenDict early access builds.
It's currently (Aug 2017) recommended to use the "early access builds" (v.1.5RC2 or newer) of GoldenDict to get full functionality:
- Early access builds for Windows (Updated: 2017-07-29)
- Early access builds for Mac OS-X (Updated: 2017-07-29)
- Linux user can use the packet-manager of their distribution to install GoldenDict.
Note: Those builds get updated regularly. In case of difficulties, make sure that you have the latest build.
- 2017-Jul-29: Version 1.5.0-RC2-170-g4c1dd16 released.
- 2016-Oct-28: GoldenDict 1.5RC2 supports full-text search and many more dictionary-formats. See here for an overview, here for details.
Goldendict is also available for Android. Beginning with Android 6.0, the mobile OS supports full Tibetan rendering, so all Tibetan dictionaries can be used on Android 6 devices, see Tibetan support in Android 6 Marshmallow. The mobile GoldenDict app however does not support online dictionaries.
Installation of local dictionary data
Note: The following dictionaries are based on the Rangjung Yeshe Tibetan dictionary created by Erik Pema Kunsang, the Rangjung Yeshe Shedra and the people at Rangjung Yeshe Wiki. They are published with the kind permission of Erik Pema Kunsang.
- In order to help improving future versions of the dictionary: if you cannot find an entry in those dictionaries above, please create an (empty) entry on http://rywiki.tsadra.org. This way a definition can be added later. If you know the definition yourself, of course you can directly add it to http://rywiki.tsadra.org.
- Download the three uncompressed RangjungYeshe dictionary files: RangjungYeshe2003.dict, RangjungYeshe2003Uni.idx, RangjungYeshe2003Uni.ifo
- Copy those three files into a directory "Tibetan Dictionaries"
- Start GoldenDict and select the option "Edit / Dictionaries...". Select the tab "Sources" and "Files". Press the "Add" button and select the directory "Tibetan Dictionaries" that contains you dictionary files. "Rescan now" makes the dictionaries available.
Note: In order to access the dictionary, you'll need to type Tibetan. Check Preparing Computers for Tibetan Editing on how to install Tibetan keyboards and fonts.
Installation of online Tibetan dictionary access
- In GoldenDict, select "Edit / Dictionaries...". Select the tab "Sources" and "Wikipedia". Now add a new entry with name "Rigpa Wiki" and address "http://www.rigpawiki.org". You need to enable the wiki-dictionary by clicking the check-box in front of the RigpaWiki entry.
- The Tibetan-language Wikipedia can be added as "Tibetan Wikipedia" with address: https://bo.wikipedia.org/w
- The online version of Rangjung Yeshe's dictionary http://www.dharmadictionary.net can be added as: Name: "DharmaDictionary", Address: http://rywiki.tsadra.org
- Additionally, you can add another entry for "http://www.tibetanwiki.com" for the Tibetan Wiki.
- Click "Ok"
- Now you can access both offline dictionaries and online dictionaries at the same time.
Note: Searching different online sources in Tibetan sometimes requires slightly different Tibetan phrasing: to search for སེམས་ some wikipedias expect སེམས (no final tsek), and some སེམས། (final shad). Standard is usually སེམས་ (with final tsek).
A list of Wikipedia (Mediawiki) sites that can be added to GoldenDict:
|RigpaWiki||http://www.rigpawiki.org||Rigpa's dharma wiki with Tibetan-English glossary|
|Wiktionary||https://en.wiktionary.org/w||A multi-language dictionary and etymology|
|Tibetan Wikipedia||https://bo.wikipedia.org/w||Tibetan-language wikipedia|
|DharmaDictionary||http://rywiki.tsadra.org||Rangjung Yeshe's online dictionary|
|TibetanWiki||http://www.tibetanwiki.com||A Tibetan language wiki|
GoldenDict wiki (Help)
The GoldenDict Wiki contains a lot of information about usage and internals of GoldenDict, e.g.:
- FAQ: How to customize fonts and styles use by Goldendict.
- Features and dictionary formats supported.
XML Error message
Some wikipedias (e.g. English standard wikipedia and wiktionary) have changed their protocol to https. If you are getting errors (
Query error: XML parse error: unexpected end of file at 1,1), then simply change the wikipedia URL to use https: e.g., for Wikipedia English, use: https://en.wikipedia.org/w
Windows users can't type Tibetan in GoldenDict
Windows and the TISE-input method seem to be incompatible with GoldenDict. The recommended Windows Tibetan input method is Denjong Tib Type. Alternatively, if you want to use Windows & TISE with GoldenDict, you can type the search-phrase in some other program (e.g. notepad) and then copy&paste the search term into GoldenDict.
Additional sources and Sanskrit
- Sanskrit Tools: http://arshadrishti.org/sanskrit-tools/
- Sanskrit online dictionaries that can be integrated with GoldenDict: havard.edu
- Visit Glossaries for Buddhist Studies for more Buddhist dictionary material.
- Dzongkha-English dictionaries dzongkha.gov.bt